Server virtualization services or simply virtualization refers to creating a representative form of the actual object closest to the description. It the separates the resource or request for a service from the underlying physical delivery of that service. In computing terminology, it is a framework or an architecture that enables the end user to experience optimum usage of computer resources available. It allows running multiple instances of Operating systems and Applications on a single Computer where each of the operating systems runs as a self-contained machine called “Virtual Machine”.
Virtual Machine Monitor-VMM, the software layer is installed either over the host Operating System or directly onto the system hardware. The way VMM is installed determines the Virtualization Architecture the Server is dependent on. It enables switching between Virtual Machines without rebooting or hardware partitioning.
Types of Virtualization
- Hosted Architecture: A base OS is first installed on the system and it is upon this OS that the software layer VMM is installed to allow users to run guest OS. The communication with I/O devices is majorly controlled by the host OS with limited access to the guest OS for just a few I/o devices.
- Bare-Metal Architecture: The software layer VMM is directly installed on system hardware thus allowing direct access between I/o devices and VMM. This improves I/O performance with real time OS support
Advantages of Virtualization
- Network Virtualization
It refers to utilizing a segment of single physical network through a logical segmentation. They are deployed as logical services. It encapsulates the hardware and software network resources and functionality into a single virtual network. Each segment is independent from the other and can be assigned in real time for scaling of networks for business needs can be achieved by adding partitions.
- Desktop Virtualization
VDI stands for Virtual Desktop Infrastructure popularized by VMWare. VM has all the OS, applications, Software’s been installed and is managed in one single place or in a hosted environment and then access to this system is remotely given to the end-user. End user thus uses all the necessary applications remotely without the need of installing on his local computer. As number of users grows in an organization, provision of remote access can be given thus IT Desktop support process becomes much easier.
- Server Virtualization
A physical server is partitioned into multiple smaller virtual servers each having the capability to behave like an actual server with the resources of host server are masked from the user. Each virtual server can run and reboot its own OS independent from that on the other virtual server. The reduced hardware cost and increased resource utilization encourage choosing this option.
In earlier times, single user required a whole dedicated system to perform various tasks. The underutilization of resources increased the resource cost. At the same time IT Desktop support process was hard because it was not easy to have upgrades and patch management and most importantly the recovery management. Each machine had its own single OS image with Software and hardware tightly coupled. Multiple application execution created conflicts. With virtualization came the following benefits:
- Efficient use of hardware resources: Hardware independence of operating system and applications increased utilization thus reducing infrastructure costs with improved and easier maintenance.
- Increase development and test efficiency by reducing the amount of time it takes to set up hardware and software and reproduce test environments.
- Improve server availability by using less physical computers as would be needed in a failover configuration that uses only physical computers. Increase or reduce server resources in response to changes in demand.
- Enhanced administrative productivity and responsiveness. Virtual machines can be provisioned to any system. Eased OS and application management as a single unit by encapsulating them into virtual machines. Rapid deployment of new servers to address changing business needs.
- Better failure management It minimizes downtime and enables continuity and recovery management
In a way Virtualization ensures that these resources are fully utilized under any unexpected circumstances and thus enabling computers to be more productive ,supporting organizational wide IT infrastructure.
Base on your business’s specific needs MNJ Software’ can provide you a tailored Virtualization solution. Our team of experienced technicians, consultants and network administrators are available 24 by 7 to help & support you. We are just a call away!
One of our project managers will closely work with you to ensure seamless and successful deployment of complex virtualization solutions. Here are the services you can your project manager will take care of.
- Managing desktop virtualization
- Managing server virtualization
- Managing virtualized network services
- Deploying the latest in virtual network security solutions
To know more about how MNJ can help you take advantage of its Virtualization services, Contact Us